1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
5 large egg whites (beaten lightly)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
10 ounces canned or packaged almond paste
1. In a bowl, mix together the sugar and the almond paste until the mixture is smooth, using the paddle attachment.
2. Stir in the eggs whites and the vanilla by adding slowly, until the mixture is combined well.
3. Transfer the mixture to a pastry bag that has been fitted with 1/2 inch plain tip. (I used a spoon instead of a bag)
4. Pipe 3/4 inch wide mounds 1 1/2 inches apart onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake the macaroons in the middle of a preheated 375 degree oven for 8-12 minutes, or until they are pale golden.
6. Transfer the macaroons while still on the paper to a rack, and let them cool completely.
Note: If using a non-commercial oven with only a bottom-heating element, use two cookie pans stacked together. This prevents scorching the bottom of the cookies.
Serve after meal with cheese, fruit and Port.