9 oz. dried medium Chinese egg noodles
2 Tbsp. peanut or corn oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 lb. thin cut chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 in strips
12 baby carrots, quartered lengthwise
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips
5 oz. (drained) can water chestnuts, slice into thirds if whole
1/2 cup cashews
Sweet and Sour Sauce
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp. arrowroot
4 Tbsp. rice vinegar
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. tomato paste
2 large garlic cloves, very finely chopped
1/2 inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and very finely chopped
pinch of salt
1. Cook noodles in large pan of boiling water for 3 minutes or until soft.
2. Drain, rinse, two or three times and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, make the sauce. Stir half the water into the arrowroot and set aside. Stir the remaining sauce ingredients and the remaining water together in a small pan and bring to a boil. Stir in the arrowroot mixture and continue boiling until the sauce becomes glossy and thick. Remove from the heat and set aside.
4. Heat wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the oil and heat until it shimmers. Add the onion and stir fry for 1 minute. Stir in the chicken, carrots and bell pepper and continue stir frying for about 3 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Add the water chestnuts and cashews and stir them until cashews are lightly browned.
5. Stir the sauce into the wok and heat until it bubbles.
6. Add the noodles and use tongs or two forks to mix them in with the chicken and vegetables.
Can serve garnished with chopped scallions.
Wine Served: Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand