Makes 2 sandwiches. (we cut each sandwich into thirds)
We were invited to a vegan dinner last night where we knew there would be a pot of soup, so we made these sandwiches. You could expand the flavor with a layer of carmelized onions and if you are a vegetarian you can add a layer of cheese.
1 loaf large oval Italian bread (cut at an angle into 1/2 inch slices)
3/4 cup chickpeas
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tsp. capers
2 Tsp. olive oil (use for cooking garlic and chard)
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups swiss chard, torn
1/4 Tsp. salt
1/8 Tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 large plum tomatoes, sliced (layer slices between paper towels to remove juices)
1. Put chickpeas, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, and capers in a processor and blend until smooth.
2. Heat 2 Tsp. olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook about 1 minute. Do not let burn. Add chard and cook until wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, add salt and pepper and toss.
3. Spread a thin layer of the chickpea spread on both inside pieces of bread. Top with swiss chard and garlic and tomato slices.
4. Put sandwich together and brush oil on outside of bread.
5. Put in panini press and cook until golden brown.
Let cool slightly before cutting.